Dr. Yuri Efremenko
Professor (Joint Faculty with ORNL)
Experimental Elementary Particle Physics
Office: 503 Nielsen Physics Building/ORNL
Phone: (865) 974-7857 or 574-4706
I'm doing research in several experiments around the world studying neutrino properties, such as neutrino oscillations and search for neutrino mass. Experiments I'm involved in are KamLAND (Japan), DoubleChooz (France), Majorana (USA). It is an interesting and quickly progressing branch of science at the crossroads of particle physics and astrophysics.
One can get flavor on what is going on in the field from the Neutrino Oscillation Industry Web site at: http://www.hep.anl.gov/ndk/hypertext/.
Dr. Efremenko has taught the following courses:
- Stars, Galaxies, and Cosmology Lecture (Astronomy 152)
- Astronomy, Stars and Galaxies (Astronomy 162)
- Elements of Physics (Physics 221)
- Waves, Optics, Modern Physics (Physics 232)
- Seminars in High Energy and Astrophysics (Physics 599)
- Experimental High Energy Physics(Physics 627)
- 1982: Master's degree in Experimental Particle Physics from Moscow Engineering-Physics University
- 1991: Ph.D. from Moscow institute for Theoretical and Experimental Physics
- 1991-1992: Guest Scientist at Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator facility
- Since 1992: At The University of Tennessee
- Limits on Majoron-emitting double-beta decays of Xe-136 in the KamLAND-Zen experiment.
KamLAND-Zen Collaboration (A. Gando (Tohoku U.) et al.). May 2012. 4 pp.
Published in Phys.Rev. e86 (2012) 021601
- Indication for the disappearance of reactor electron antineutrinos in the Double Chooz experiment.
DOUBLE-CHOOZ Collaboration (Y. Abe (Tokyo Inst. Tech.) et al.). Dec 2011. 7 pp.
Published in Phys.Rev.Lett. 108 (2012) 131801
- The MAJORANA DEMONSTRATOR: An R and D project towards a tonne-scale germanium neutrinoless double-beta decay search, by MAJORANA Collaboration (C.E. Aalseth et al.). Jul 2009. 4 pp. To appear in the proceedings of CIPANP 2009: 10th Conference on the Intersections of Particle and Nuclear Physics, San Diego, California, 26-31 May 2009. Published in AIP Conf.Proc.1182:88-91,2009. e-Print: arXiv:0907.1581.
- Precision Measurement of Neutrino Oscillation Parameters with KamLAND, by KamLAND Collaboration (S. Abe et al.). Feb 2008. 5 pp.
Published in Phys.Rev.Lett.100:221803,2008. e-Print: arXiv:0801.4589 [hep-ex].
- Double Chooz:A Search for the neutrino mixing angle theta(13), by Double Chooz Collaboration (F. Ardellier et al.). Jun 2006.162 pp., e-Print: hep-ex/0606025.
- Experimental investigation of geologically produced antineutrinos with KamLAND. T. Araki et al. Jul 2005. 5pp. Published in Nature 436:499-503,2005.
- First results from KamLAND: Evidence for reactor anti-neutrino disappearance, by KamLAND Collaboration (K. Eguchi et al.). Dec 2002. 6 pp. Published in Phys.Rev.Lett.90:021802,2003. e-Print: hep-ex/0212021.