Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
Group Leader, Thin Films and Nanostructures, Quantum Condensed Matter Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Phone: (505) 901-0534
Thin films and nanostructures provide convenient platforms to exploit novel functional behavior for technological applications. Applications include: permanent magnets, quantum information technologies, spintronics, low power electronics, memristors etc., as well as energy conversion, e.g., spin Seebeck currents and conventional thermoelectrics. Thin films and interfaces also enable topologically protected (against annihilation) magnetic order, such as topological insulators and skyrmions. My research is focused on understanding novel materials properties that stem from interfaces—regions between dissimilar materials whose structure enables ground states of matter not observed in the constituent components. Examples include combinations of ferroelectric, ferromagnetic, ferroelastic and ferrotoroidic order parameters. My experiments involve developing and using instrumentation techniques that allow control of various conjugate fields during neutron scattering experiments.
I seek a highly motivated graduate student who is interested in participating in experimental research to understand and control interfacial properties that lead to new functional materials. Ability to work in a collaborative laboratory and user facility environments is essential. If you are interested please e-mail or call me.
1. P. Jain, Q. Wang, M. Roldan, A. Glavic, V. Lauter, C. Urban, Z. Bi, T. Ahmed, J. Zhu, M. Varela, Q. Jia, M. R. Fitzsimmons, Synthetic magnetoelectric coupling in a nanocomposite multiferroic, Scientific Reports 5, 9089(2015) http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/srep09089
2. E.J. Moon, R. Colby, Q. Wang, E. Karapetrova, C.M. Schleputz, M. R. Fitzsimmons, S.J. May, Spatial control of functional properties via octahedral modulations in complex oxide superlattices, Nature Communications (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ncomms6710
3. S. Singh, J.T. Haraldsen, J. Xiong, E.M. Choi, P. Lu, D. Yi, X.-D. Wen, J. Liu, H. Wang, Z. Bi, Y. Pu, M.R. Fitzsimmons, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, R. Ramesh, J.-X. Zhu, A.V. Balatsky and Q.X. Jia, Induced magnetization La0.7Sr.0.3MnO3/BiFeO3 superlattices, Physical Review Letters 113, 047204 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.113.047204
4. M.R. Fitzsimmons and Ivan K. Schuller, Neutron scattering—the key characterization tool for nanostructured magnetic materials, J. of Magn. and Magn. Materials, 350, 199 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmmm.2013.09.028
5. C. He, A.J. Grutter, M. Gu, N.D. Browning, Y. Takamura, B.J. Kirby, J.A. Borchers, J.W. Kim, M.R. Fitzsimmons, X. Zhai, V.V. Mehta, F.J. Wong, Y. Suzuki, Interfacial ferromagnetism and exchange bias in CaRuO3/CaMnO3 superlattices, Physical Review Letters 109, 197202 (2012). http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.109.197202
6. S. Singh, M.R. Fitzsimmons, T. Lookman, H. Jeen, A. Biswas, M.A. Roldan and M. Varela, Role of elastic bending stress on magnetism of a manganite thin film studied by polarized neutron reflectometry, Physical Review B 85, 21440 (2012). http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.85.214440
7. Surendra Singh, M.R. Fitzsimmons, T. Lookman, J.D. Thompson, H. Jeen and A. Biswas, Mangetic non-uniformity and thermal hysteresis of (La0.4Pr0.6)0.67Ca0.33MnO3 thin films, Physical Review Letters 108, 077207 (2012). http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.108.077207
8. M.R. Fitzsimmons, B.J. Kirby, N.W. Hengartner, D.L. Smith, F. Trouw, M. Erickson, S.D. Flexner, T. Kondo, C. Adelmann, C.J. Palmstrøm, P.A. Crowell,W. Chen, T.R. Gentile, J.A. Borchers, C.F. Majkrzak, R. Pynn, Suppression of Nuclear Polarization near the Surface of Optically Pumped GaAs, Physical Review B 76, 245301 (2007). http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.76.245301
9. S. Roy, M.R. Fitzsimmons, S. Park, M. Dorn, O. Petracic, Igor V. Roshchin, Zhi-Pan Li, X. Batlle, R. Morales, A. Misra, X. Zhang, K. Chesnel, J.B. Kortright, S.K. Sinha and Ivan K. Schuller, Depth profile of uncompensated spins in the antiferromagnetic layer of an exchange bias system, Physical Review Letters 95, 047201 (2005). http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.95.047201
10. M.R. Fitzsimmons, S.D. Bader, J.A. Borchers, G.P. Felcher, J.K. Furdyna, A. Hoffmann, J.B. Kortright, Ivan K. Schuller, T.C. Schulthess, S.K. Sinha, M.F. Toney, D. Weller, S. Wolf, Neutron scattering studies of nanomagnetism and artificially structured materials, J. Magn. Magn. Mat., 271, 103 (2004). 10.1016/j.jmmm.2003.09.046
Please see my Google Scholar profile for a complete list of publications.
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000
The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System