The Dr. Elizabeth M. Bains and Dr. James A. Bains, Jr. Graduate Fellowship provides a $35,000 per year stipend for excellent graduate students who contribute in meaningful ways to the department’s diversity of gender, nationality, economic status, race or ethnicity.
The fellowship is available for new student applicants to our graduate program. Students should apply to the fellowship via a faculty sponsor. Interested students without UT Knoxville contacts are encouraged to contact a faculty member with whom they would like to work. (Faculty members can only sponsor one student per cycle.)
Candidates are evaluated based on their academic credentials, including:
- Academic Excellence
- Research Statement and Experience
- Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Work/life Experiences (leadership, work through challenging problems, maturity)
- Interview with 2+ Faculty Members
- Anticipated Interests in our Department
- Reference Letters (letters submitted to apply to our graduate program will be used)
In addition, the candidate is expected to contribute to the department’s diversity of gender, nationality, economic status, race or ethnicity in a meaningful way.
The nomination deadline is February 1, 2022. The awardee and faculty sponsor will be announced on or about February 15, 2022.
The Bains Fellowship is made possible by a generous bequest from physics graduates Elizabeth M. Bains (MS, 1968; PhD, 1972) and James A. Bains, Jr. (PhD, 1974).