Month 1 - Team Science
This workshop discusses interacting with people in a team as a student. The discussion touches on psychological safety, barriers to inclusion, stereotype threat, and identifying allies.
Month 2- Graduate School Research Statement
This activity will discuss best practices in preparing a research statement for graduate school. Students will have prepared drafts and perform peer review of draft statements.
Month 3 - Research Documentation and Persistence
This session will cover documenting research using paper and electronics logbooks and use of collaborative tools. The discussion will touch on persistence in research, dealing with frustration, and celebrating small successes.
Month 4 - Literature Review
This workshop will review common search tools for research, and give an overview of common nuclear physics journals.
Month 5 - Scientific Writing
This workshop will describe the components of the research report: introduction, methods, results, conclusions, references.
Month 6 - Scientific Communication
This activity will focus on organizing ideas and communicating research. Trainees will practice the elevator pitch and prepare and peer review abstracts for a national APS conference
Month 7 – Summer Research Plan Presentation/TBD
- Week 2 - Choosing a PhD program
- Week 4 - PhD Admission
- Week 6 - Career Track Discussion (Bachelor's)
- Week 8 - Career Track Discussion (PhD)
- Week 10 - Poster Symposium and Virtual Grad School Fair
- Week 1 - Scientific Computing
- Week 3 - Data Presentation (part 1)
- Week 5 - Data Presentation (part 2)
- Week 7 - Resume/CV Writing
- Week 9 - Oral/Poster Presentation Development