Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
Office: 217A Nielsen Physics Building
Phone: (865) 974-3055
- Ph.D., University of Arkansas (05/2012)
- M.S., University of Houston (12/2006)
- B.S., Nanjing University, China (Jun 2004)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Tennessee (08/2015-present)
- Postdoctoral Fellow Physicist, Department of Physics, University of California at Berkeley (06/2012-07/2015)
- Advanced Light Source Doctoral Fellow, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (01/2011-05/2012)
- Full CV
- Office of Naval Research (ONR) Young Investigator Award (2019)
- College of Arts and Sciences Early Career Award for Research and Creativity (2019)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2019)
I am an experimental condensed matter physicist. My research targets development of novel quantum materials that propel the fundamental understanding on emergent phenomena and deliver innovative concepts/routes for nanotechnologies. A major focus is correlated electronic materials such as transition metal oxides (TMOs), which exhibit a variety of unusual quantum phenomena that often elude conventional predictions as well as afford unparalleled functionalities. Moreover, I create interfaces between materials with distinct ground states by oxide-based heteroepitaxy in order to twist their properties and discover new phases in ways that are unavailable in solid state chemistry. This atomically controlled synthesis is synergistically coupled with advanced synchrotron-based characterizations to comprehend the underlying correlated physics and facilitate quantum materials-by-design. My research covers systems that display metal-insulator transition, high-temperature superconductivity, colossal magnetoresistance, orbital ordering/reconstruction, strong spin-orbit coupling, quantum magnetism, multiferroics, as well as magnetic switching.
I always welcome highly motivated graduate and undergraduate students to join my group. If you are interested in studying quantum states of matter and functional materials by using atomic layering and national synchrotron/neutron facilities, please email me or stop by my office. Ph.D. positions are currently available.
- Giant magnetic response of a two-dimensional antiferromagnet, L. Hao, D. Meyers, H. Suwa, J. Yang, C. Frederick, T. R. Dasa, G. Fabbris, L. Horak, D. Kriegner, Y. Choi, J.-W. Kim, D. Haskel, P. J. Ryan, H. Xu, C. D. Batista, M.P.M. Dean, Jian Liu*, Nature Physics 14, 806 (2018). [DOI]
- Novel spin-orbit coupling driven emergent states in iridate-based heterostructures, L. Hao. D. Meyers, M.P.M. Dean, and Jian Liu*, J. Phys. Chem. Solids in press. [DOI]
- Strain effects on structural and magnetic properties of SrIrO3/SrTiO3 superlattice, T. R. Dasa, L. Hao, J. Yang, Jian Liu*, H. Xu, Materials Today Physics 4, 43 (2018). [DOI]
- Two-dimensional Jeff = 1/2 antiferromagnetic insulator unraveled from interlayer exchange coupling in artificial perovskite iridate superlattices, L. Hao, D. Meyers, C. Frederick, G. Fabbris, J. Yang, N. Traynor, L. Horak, D. Kriegner, Y. Choi, J.-W. Kim, D. Haskel, P. J. Ryan, M. P. M. Dean, Jian Liu*, Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 027204 (2017). [DOI]
- Electron accumulation and emergent magnetism in LaMnO3/SrTiO3 heterostructures, Z. Chen, Z. Chen, Z. Q. Liu, M. E. Holtz, C. J. Li, X. Renshaw Wang, W. M. Lü, M. Motapothula, L. S. Fan, J. A. Turcaud, L. R. Dedon, C. Frederick, R. J. Xu, R. Gao, A. T. N’Diaye, E. Arenholz, J. A. Mundy, T. Venkatesan, D. A. Muller, L.-W. Wang, Jian Liu*, and L. W. Martin, Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 156801 (2017). [DOI]
- Tuning perpendicular magnetic anisotropy by oxygen octahedral rotations in (La1-xSrxMnO3)/(SrIrO3) superlattices, D. Yi, C. L. Flint, P. P. Balakrishnan, K. Mahalingam, B. Urwin, A. Vailionis, A. T. N’Diaye, P. Shafer, E. Arenholz, Y. Choi, K. H. Stone, J.-H. Chu, B. M. Howe, Jian Liu, I. R. Fisher, and Y. Suzuki, Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 077201 (2017). [DOI]
- Structure of epitaxial SrIrO3 perovskite studied by interference between X-ray waves diffracted by the substrate and the thin film, L. Horák, D. Kriegner, Jian Liu, C. Frontera, X. Marti, V. Holý, J. Appl. Cryst. 50, 385 (2017). [DOI]
- Photoinduced coherent acoustic phonon dynamics inside Mott insulator Sr2IrO4 films observed by femtosecond X-ray pulses, B.-B. Zhang, Jian Liu, X. Wei, D.-R. Sun, Q.-J. Jia, Y. Li, Y. Tao, Appl. Phys. Lett. 110, 151904 (2017). [DOI]
- Emerging magnetism and anomalous Hall effect in iridate–manganite heterostructures, J. Nichols, X. Gao, S. Lee, T. L. Meyer, J. W. Freeland, V. Lauter, D. Yi, Jian Liu, Daniel Haskel, J. R. Petrie1, E.-J. Guo, A. Herklotz, D. Lee, T. Z. Ward, G. Eres, M. R. Fitzsimmons, and H. N. Lee, Nat. Commun. 7, 12721 (2016). [DOI]
- Ultrafast energy and momentum resolved dynamics of magnetic correlations in photo-doped Mott insulator Sr2IrO4, M.P.M. Dean, Y. Cao, X. Liu, S. Wall, D. Zhu, R. Mankowsky, V. Thampy, X.M. Chen, J.G. Vale, D. Casa, J. Kim, A.H. Said, P. Juhas, R. Alonso-Mori, J.M. Glownia, A. Robert, J. Robinson, M. Sikorski, S. Song, M. Kozina, H. Lemke, L. Patthey, S. Owada, T. Katayama, M. Yabashi, Y. Tanaka, T. Togashi, Jian Liu, C. Rayan Serrao, B.J. Kim, L. Huber, C.-L. Chang, D.F. McMorrow, M. Forst, J.P. Hill, Nature Materials 15, 601 (2016). [DOI]
—featured in Science and Research Highlights of the Advanced Photon Source and as a UT Physics highlight.
—invited topical review.
—highlighted in Today At Berkeley Lab.
—featured in Nature Materials News and Views