Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
Office: 217A Nielsen Physics Building
Phone: (865) 974-6019
I obtained my Ph.D. in Physics in December 2005 from University of Texas at Austin with Prof. John B Goodenough. Then, I became a Postdoctoral Associate at National High Magnetic Field Lab/Florida Sate University with Prof. C. R. Wiebe. In August 2008, I obtained a position as assistant scholar/scientist in NHMFL. I became an Assistant Professor in the Physics Department at UTK in August 2012. For a full CV, including full publications record, see here.
Almost every new technological innovation depends heavily upon the discovery of new materials and new novel physical properties. The discovery of many extraordinary properties of transition-metal oxides (TMOs), such as high-Tc superconductivity, CMR effect, and multi-ferroelectric effect, or the so called "strongly correlated systems", has opened many new fields in condensed matter physics. Recently, new "quantum states of matter" are coming increasingly to the fore in modern condensed-matter physics. Two celebrated examples are topological insulator and quantum spin liquid. The understandings of the strongly correlated spin/orbital/lattice couplings and the quantum phase coherence in all these materials are not only of fundamental importance but also potentially useful for applications. My main research interests are to discovery new materials possessing abnormal physical properties, such as geometrically frustrated magnetism showing quantum spin behaviors, multiferroicity, orbital ordering, and metal-insulator transitions. The strategies are to grow single crystals of them, and study them by x-ray scattering, low temperature and high magnetic field measurements, and neutron scattering. We expect our studies will advance the understanding of strongly correlated systems and quantum matters. For full statement of research interests, see here.
Dr. Zhou Wins NSF CAREER Award
A couple of positions are immediately available for highly motivated graduate and undergraduate students who are interested in growing single crystals of novel materials and study them with different techniques. If interested, please e-mail or call me.
- S. Pandey, H. Zhang, J. Yang, A. F. May, J. Sanchez, Z. Liu, J. H. Chu, J. W. Kim, P. J. Ryan, H. D. Zhou, and J. Liu, Controllable emergent spatial spin modulation in Sr2IrO4 by in situ shear strain, Physical Review Letters 129, 027203(1-7) (2022).
- N. Anand, K. Barry, J. N. Neu, D. E. Graf, Q. Huang, H. D. Zhou, T. Siegrist, H. J. Changlani, and C. Beekman, Investigation of the monopole magneto-chemical potential in spin ices using capacitive torque magnetometry, Nature Communications 13, 3818(1-8) (2022).
- L. Kish, A. Thaler, M. Lee, A. Zakrzewski, D. Plessis, B. Wolin, X. Wang, K. Littrell, R. Budakian, H. D. Zhou, Z. Gai, M. Frontzek, V. zapf, A. Aczel, L. Schmitt, G. MacDougall, Domain wall patterning and giant response functions in ferromagnetic spinels, Advanced Science 8, 2101402(1-13) (2021).
- J. Wang, Y. Jiang, T. Zhao, Z. Dun, A. L. Miettinen, X. Wu, M. Mourigal, H. D. Zhou, W. Pan, D. Smirnow, and Z. Jiang, Magneto-transport evidence for strong topological insulator phase in ZrTe5, Nature Communications 12, 6758(1-7) (2021).
- G. Lin, J. Jeong, C. Kim, Y. Wang, Q. Huang, T. Masuda, S. Asai, S. Itoh, G. Gunther, M. Russina, Z. Lu, J. Sheng, L. Wang, J. Wang, G. Wang, Q. Ren, C. Xi, W. Tong, L. Ling, Z. Liu, L. Wu, J. Mei, Z. Qu, H. D. Zhou, X. Wang, J. Park, Y. Wan, J. Ma, Field induced quantum spin disordered state in spin-1/2 honeycomb magnet Na2Co2TeO6, Nature Communications 12, 5559(1-8) (2021).
- X. Rao, G. Hussain, Q. Huang, W. J. Chu, N. Li, X. Zhao, Z. Dun, E. S. Choi, T. Asabam L. Chen, X. Y. Yue, N. N. Wang, J. G. Cheng, Y. H. Gao, Y. Shen, J. Zhao, G. Chen, H. D. Zhou, and X. F. Sun, Survival of itinerant excitations and quantum spin state transitions in YbMgGaO4 with chemical disorder, Nature Communications 12, 4949(1-9) (2021).
- X. Hu, Daniel M. Pajerowski, D. Zhang, Andrey A. Podlesnyak, Y. Qiu, Q. Huang, H. D. Zhou, I. Klich, Alexander I. Kolesnikov, Matthew B. Stone, and S. H. Lee, Freezing of a disorder induced spin liquid with strong quantum fluctuations, Physical Review Letters 127, 017201(1-6) (2021).
- R. J. Koch, R. Sinclair, M. T. McDonnell, R. Yu, M. Abeeykoon, M. G. Tucker, A. M. Tsvelik, S. J. L. Billinge, H. D. Zhou, W. G. Yin, and E. S. Bozin, Dual orbital degeneracy lifting in a strongly correlated electron system, Physical Review Letters 126, 186402(1-6) (2021).
- X. J. Bai, S. S. Zhang, Z.Dun, H. Zhang, Q. Huang, H. D. Zhou, M. B. Stone, A. I. Kolesnikov, F. Ye, C. D. Batista, and M. Mourigal, Hybridized quadrupolar excitations in the spin-anisotropic frustrated magnet FeI2, Nature Physics 17, 467-472 (2021).
- Z. Dun, X. Bai, J. A. M. Paddison, EE. Hollingworth, N. P. Butch, C. D. Cruz, M. B. Stone, T. Hong, F. Demmel, M. Mourigal, and H. D. Zhou, Quantum versus classical spin fragmentation in dipolar kagome ice Ho3Mg2Sb3O14, Physical Review X 10, 031069(1-23) (2020).